Mozilla Thunderbird is definitely one of the few names that come to our mind when we hear the word “Email Client”. It is one of the most prolific email clients having millions of users worldwide. The reason behind the popularity of Mozilla Thunderbird is its most advanced features. Additionally, the user interface of the latest version of Thunderbird is similar to Firefox which makes very easy to use. However, having all these benefits doesn’t make Mozilla Thunderbird absolute problem free application. There are many issues due to which users keep on complaining that their Mozilla Thunderbird not working properly.
Keep reading this post if you are also facing a problem with your Mozilla Thunderbird application. Here, we will discuss all the necessary details why your Mozilla Thunderbird stopped working and how you can fix it effortlessly.
Possible reasons why Mozilla Thunderbird isn’t working
The most cutting-edge technologies are used to design and create Mozilla Thunderbird. Yet, there are a few reasons that can cause many problems in the Mozilla Thunderbird application. Let’s have a look at some of these reasons.
- Internet Connectivity: Thunderbird stores email locally in your PC so you can access them without the internet. However, to send an email you need to have a good internet connection. If you are unable to send email on Mozilla Thunderbird then it is quite possible that you are not connected to the Internet.
- Using Outdated version of Thunderbird: Compatibility is very important when you use Mozilla Thunderbird on any device. If you are using an older version of Thunderbird that you may face a lot of problems.
- Add-ons and extension of Thunderbird: We install add-ons and extensions on Thunderbird to make our emailing experience more pleasant. However, these extensions and add-ons can also give rise to many problems as well.
- Email account not configured properly: In case you are encountering issues like unable to send/ receive emails on Mozilla Thunderbird then it is quite possible that your email account is not configured properly.
- A software conflict with Thunderbird: There are many software programs that can hinder the proper workflow of Mozilla Thunderbird. If you have such software installed on your PC then Mozilla Thunderbird might not work properly.
- PC is infected with the malware: Some viruses are designed to block users from using their email clients. If your PC is also infected with such viruses then will have to face problems in using Thunderbird.
How to fix Mozilla Thunderbird not working on Windows 10, 8.1, 7 problems?
Windows 10 is equipped with an inbuilt email client i.e. Outlook. Still, a lot of users prefer Thunderbird. If your Mozilla Thunderbird application is not working on Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 then you should follow the steps given below:
- Check your internet connectivity and make sure you are connected to a smooth & fast internet connection.
- Update your Mozilla Thunderbird software program if an update is available. You can check the complete details about updating Thunderbird through this official page – https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/updating-thunderbird.
- If Mozilla Thunderbird not working properly even after updating then you need to run it in safe mode.
- Disable the add-ons & extensions installed in Mozilla Thunderbird and see if this resolves the issue.
- If the problem is related to sending and receiving emails then you need to reconfigure the email account.
- Run a deep scan of your PC using a good antivirus to remove any possible virus infection.
- In case the problem continues then we recommend you to re-install the Thunderbird.
After following all the steps mentioned above, the Mozilla Thunderbird should work fine on your PC. Now, let’s move on to the solutions to individual problems associated with the Mozilla Thunderbird.
Mozilla Thunderbird not opening/ stopped working
In case your Mozilla Thunderbird is not starting or not responding after opening properly then you should try the troubleshooting steps given below:
- To start the proceeding, you need to stop all the processes of Thunderbird. You can stop all the processes by opening task manager.
- After that, you need to open the profile folder of Mozilla Thunderbird.
- Then, locate and delete the “Parent.lock” file from the profile folder.
- Finally, you just need to restart Thunderbird and it should work fine.
Mozilla Thunderbird not sending emails
There are primarily two reasons why your Mozilla Thunderbird might not sending emails as given below:
- Incorrect Mozilla Thunderbird Settings (POP/IMAP).
- Outgoing server port blocked by Internet Service Provider.
Here are the steps that you need to follow to resolve such problems.
- Check and make sure that Thunderbird configuration settings are correct as given below:
- Incoming Mail server hostname: mail.yourdomain.com
- Outgoing mail server hostname (SMTP): mail.yourdomain.com
- Username: Enter your full email address including the domain name.
- SMTP authentication: Enabled.
- If the configuration settings are correct then you may try alternate outgoing server port.
What to do if Mozilla Thunderbird not receiving emails?
Try the steps given below if you are not receiving new emails in your Mozilla Thunderbird application.
- Run Mozilla Thunderbird and open “Tools”.
- After that, you need to select the “Account Settings” option.
- Go to the list that will appear on the left-hand side pane and choose “Server Settings”.
- Now, the configuration settings will appear on top of the page.
- Verify the incoming mail server connection settings.
You should be able to receive emails properly as long as incoming mail server settings are correct and there is enough storage space in your device.
Thunderbird Crashing or closing unexpectedly
Mozilla Thunderbird application crash is quite common. Whenever this happens a Mozilla crash report is generated. The reasons for the crash are mentioned in this report. The exact solution can be provided only after knowing the crash report ID. Still, you may try some basic troubleshooting steps as given below:
- Make sure that the version of Thunderbird you are using is updated. It is recommended to use the latest version of Mozilla Thunderbird.
- Try to run Mozilla Thunderbird in safe mode. The method to run safe mode is different for various operating systems.
- Remove the add-ons and extensions from the Thunderbird because they can be problematic at times. To know more about various add-ons and extensions compatibility with Thunderbird you may check the official FAQ section- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/thunderbird-add-ons-frequently-asked-question.