Gmail is one of the most commonly used email services having billions of users all around the globe. It owes its immense popularity to user-friendly interface, excellent security, fast email sending-receiving and several such attributes. However, any number of characteristics cannot make an email service free from flaws and same is the case with Gmail. Time and again, the users are seen complaining about various issues while using the Gmail service. To help such users, this article provides the simplest possible solutions to fix the Gmail not working issue. The solutions consist of quite easy steps and can be followed by even the users with little technical knowledge without any difficulty.
Reasons behind the Gmail not working issue
There can be many possible reasons why the Gmail account may not be working properly. Let us have a look at the major ones that can be preventing you from smoothly working with your Gmail account.
- The problem is with your internet connection.
- You are using a browser that is either incompatible or outdated or both.
- There is any third-party program installed in your system creating troubles with Gmail.
- Some device related problems can also create Gmail not working issues.
- Gmail account configured with incorrect settings will not work properly.
- You are not entering the id or password of your Gmail account correctly.
- You device and/ or your account is running out of storage space.
Different ways to solve the Gmail not working problem
The Gmail not working issue can cause major loss of work and therefore requires immediate care. In case you are also having the same issue and are looking for the ways to fix this, keep reading to know more.
Solve Gmail not working on Windows
In case you find any difficulty in working with Gmail on your Windows operating system, the following are the troubleshooting measures for the same:
- At first, you must make sure that you have strong internet speed. It might happen that the problem wasn’t with your account and simply with your internet. For this, try loading a web page on any browser. If the page loads successfully, you can proceed with the other measures.
- Make sure that the browser you are using is compatible with Gmail. It is advised to open Gmail through Google chrome, although others may also work fine.
- A third-party program, specially an antivirus or firewall may prevent you from using your Gmail account. Temporarily disable any such program for the time you are using your Gmail.
- There must be no virus infections in your device. Sometimes, due to presence of virus or other threats in your system, your Gmail can be affected.
Fix Gmail not working on Mac
The users will be able to fix the Gmail not working on Mac issue by following the steps as given below:
- Make sure that the browser you are using is compatible and all the latest updates are installed in it.
- Check if there is no problem with the internet connection.
- Temporarily disable any antivirus or firewall program that might be creating issues with your Gmail account.
- Sometimes, issues with your device or operating system can also cause the Gmail not working issue. To fix this, the users simply need to install the system updates from time to time.
Resolve Gmail not working on iPhone
If the users are facing any trouble in using Gmail account on their iPhone, the simplest ways to fix this problem are mentioned below:
- If accessing Gmail account through mail app or Gmail app, make sure that your application is updated.
- If you are opening your Gmail account using a browser, make sure that there is no problem with the browser.
- Make sure that the antivirus program installed in your iPhone is not conflicting with your Gmail.
- Check if the problem is not with your internet rather than the device or account.
- Make sure that Gmail account was configured properly on your iPhone with the right IMAP/ POP settings. If there is some issue with these settings, you might need to re-configure Gmail on iPhone.
Ways to fix Gmail not working on Android
Many android users are found to be complaining about having issues while accessing their Gmail account. Below given are some basic solutions that can help such users in fixing this problem.
- Make sure that you have an active data pack in your device and that your device is connected to it.
- Always use a browser that is updated and compatible. In case of mobile app, the app should be up-to-date.
- See if a simple restart of your device fixes the Gmail not working on Android issue.
- Reinstalling the mobile application in your Android device may also fix the program.
- Try signing in and out of your Gmail to fix issues related to sending and receiving of emails.
How to solve Gmail not working on Web browser?
To fix the Gmail not working problem on any web browser, try the following troubleshooting measures. However, first you need to make sure that the issue is not due to any problem with your device or internet.
- Update the browser you are using, if not updated already.
- Clear cookies and caches from your browser and then try opening Gmail.
- Disable any extensions, add-ons or plug-ins added to your browser as they can also create issues with Gmail.
- If nothing is able to fix the browser problem, you need to use another browser for opening Gmail.
Gmail sending/ receiving not working
Some simple step solutions to fix the sending and receiving issues in Gmail are discussed below.
Gmail not sending emails
Try the following measures to fix the Gmail not sending emails issue:
- In case the email sending limit is exhausted, you will be required to wait for the limit to be renewed.
- Make sure that you are typing the correct address of the receiver.
- If sending emails in bulk, you might need to wait before sending further emails.
- Make sure you haven’t accidentally blocked the address you are trying to send emails to.
- Do not send files larger than 25 MB in a single attachment.
- In case the sent emails bounced from the receiver’s email server, wait some time to get this issue fixed automatically.
Gmail not receiving emails
In case of problem in receiving emails, check for the following:
- Check that the incoming messages are not landing straight into your trash or spam.
- There is also a limit for receiving emails and once reached, the users will have to wait till the limit is renewed.
- If receiving in bulk, the incoming emails may get delayed.
- Make sure you haven’t accidentally blocked the sender’s address.
- In case you are running out of storage, you may not receive incoming emails. Make space by either deleting less important emails or you can also buy additional storage.
Gmail login not working
The main reason why you are not able to login to your Gmail account is lost or forgotten email id or password. Luckily, there are very easy ways in which the users can recover Gmail password or email id and fix the ‘Gmail login not working’ issue.
Gmail password recovery
- On the Gmail login page, enter your email id and then select ‘next’.
- On the new page, click on the ‘Forgot password?’ link.
- Now, enter the last password you remember using with your account.
- After that, click on the ‘next’ button.
- Now, enter the mobile number registered with your account.
- You will receive a verification code on this number.
- Using this code, now you can create a new password.
In case you do not remember the last used password of your Gmail account, you can reset it using verification code sent on recovery phone number, or by using account’s creation date or using recovery email address.
Recover email address
- The only way to recover your lost email address is by using the recovery phone number or email address.
- Once you provide these details and click on ‘next’, a list of all the accounts linked to the recovery phone number or email address will appear on the screen.
- Choose the address of the account you were looking for.
In case you do not remember these details, no other option will be provided for recovering your lost email id.